My “Inexpensive Hoop-Frame Greenhouse” Design in Nova Scotia

Recently I received a comment on my post “How to Build An Inexpensive Hoop-Frame Greenhouse” from Stacy in Nova Scotia. Using the design she found at AlbertaHomeGardening.com, she built a 10 x 22 greenhouse. I asked her to send along a few pictures and she did. So I thought it would be good to share them with you to show you another example of how you too can build your own greenhouse. So here is her comments and her pictures. Thanks Stacy!

Well, we just built this greenhouse, with a few changes, we made ours 10×22. We put a piece of strapping 2 feet off the floor running the length of the greenhouse to sturdy it up. We also used strapping in the top centre (instead of pipe and zip ties)attached to the hoops with the metal electrical bands , we got a box of 50 for 8$.

Nova Scotia Hoop-Frame Greenhouse
It was complete in 2 days! Its wonderful! When we bought our farm it came with a huge pile of electrical conduit, enough for 3 or 4 of these greenhouses. We plan to build another very soon. We couldn’t have been happier to find this design! Good job!

Nova Scotia Greenhouse
It is now full of many vegetables, flowers and herbs getting ready for the upcoming season.
Happy gardening,
Stacy

Be Sociable, Share!

19 Responses to My “Inexpensive Hoop-Frame Greenhouse” Design in Nova Scotia

1. Laura says:

I’m going to have to try this. I’ve been wanting a greenhouse for a while now but they’re so expensive!

2. Clayton says:

Found you looking for articles on Haskap. I have thought about trying this frame but we have big wind here north of Saskatoon so I am going with a stud frame and poly for now. We have a car cover frame that I think I might pull a clear skin over and use as a growing on house for my honeysuckles.

A comment on deer. The solution to me is the deer fencing from Lee Valley. At about $20 for a 7 ft. x 100 ft. roll it can be very effective. I used it around my honeysuckle plot to keep out birds. Someone gave me a couple of bundles of 9 ft. bamboo poles which really worked nice as I could make a hole with a crow bar (old axle from a car or truck or something) and then used those black plastic clamps to hold the netting along with some electrical ties. If you go to my Honeysuckle blog there should be pictures in the archives from last year.

Good site with lots of helps here.

3. scott says:

I like the size of yoour greenhouse(10 x 22). What size pvc did you use, and did you use rebar inside the pvc?

4. Xin says:

Hi,
    Dave the inventor said he does not know how this fair with wind. Could you share your experience on that please? I rent a small piece of farm to grown my own vegetables and love it. Therefore I am thinking of expanding this thing, but a greenhouse is a must for me for seedlings.

Thanks a lot!

5. joel says:

Hi,
    Great project you have built. I am building my foundation frame as I speak. I have been checking out any & all sites to get the best from all designs. Do you happen to know Stacy’s site add. I would like to check hers out also.
    Thank you for your time.

6. What a brilliant post, you should do a series!

7. monica says:

Hello,
    Please clarify – the 6 mil plastic i bought , as you recommend is not really clear (although it says so on the box). What sort of plastic roll did you use so that it is clear and strong, and allows the sunlight in ?

Many thnaks,
    Monica

8. Stacy says:

Just a update, our greenhouse is still going strong, we replaced the plastic,but that’s it.
    The rebar only went about 18″ inside each piece of pipe, the electrical conduit was 1″.
    I need another greenhouse ,this one is always full, very impressed with it,as is everyone else who see’s it!
    [img]http://www.albertahomegardening.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/stacyfarm778.jpg[/img]

9. gardener says:

Hi Stacy,
    we are in NS too.
    Do you have a heat source in the greenhouse?
    When do you start your seedlings?

• Stacy says:

I use a electric heater,sometimes two.The ones I get we set on low,they turn on when it drops low enough foe frost.
      My seedlings are started in March.

10. Hi Stacy –

I’m also in NS — where did you get your 20′ poly? I’m finding only 10′ wide poly so far, at any of the hardware/building supply stores.

And also, it looks like you used 2 x 10′ PVC pipe, with a connector at the top, for each hoop — is that right? Again, every vendor seems to carry 10′, but not 20′ long PVC.

Thanks — and thanks for the post and validation of the flexibility of the design!

I’m at michael[nospace]jon[nospace]jensen AT gmail dot com.

Thanks!

11. Loftman says:

Hello Stacy,
    I thank you for your ideas on thePVC greenhouse. I am wondering if you have experienced any problems during the winter with snow loading on your greenhouse. I would like to build one about 18 or 20′ wide and make it about 50+’ long. Only covering about half the length with woven poly and the remaining with bird netting to be used only during the warmer months. What size PVC did you use? What spacing did you place the hoops? I would be sincerely grateful for your answers. I would also like to know if you or anyone you know has any experience with using rebar for the hoops.

Thanks so much,
    PM

• Stacy says:

Hoops are two feet apart,using electrical conduit about 2″.
      The second winter was hard on the plastic but the original pvc still remains to this day.

12. Dan says:

Hi Stacy;

I have just build myself a greenhouse and would like to know at round about what time in the spring can I start planting my transplants? We live in Edmonton and I’m not sure when to start with my transplants. I keep saying to my wife that the temps inside must not drop below zero to be able to start, but now I’m not so sure.

13. Brenda says:

Hi folks:
    This is a most interesting topic. We’ve talked about a greenhouse and covering the garden with bird netting as well. I’m hoping there are further posts forthcoming. I have tried growing in a mini greenhouse but really don’t have the space once the greenery takes off. To be able to put it in a greenhouse would be the answer. Birds are my great challenge in the strawberries so I lay netting over them. I am in Northern Nova Scotia.

Enjoyed all your questions and answers and learned a lot. Thank you.

14. Frank Marks says:

Grower’s Solution has the 6mil plastic in 20 X 25 ft for $73.95 + shipping, 20 X 55 Ft for $172.00 + shipping and 12 X 25 ft for $55.95 + Shipping. I put the the link to the 12 X 25ft piece below

15. Frank Marks says:

Found a 20 x 25 6mil UV clear Poly for about $31.00 + Tax at octa Greenhouse in Nova Scotia (902)667-5940 I know it is a Amherst number but I think thay are out of Oxford now. I don’t know what shipping would be.